Saturday, October 15, 2011

Obstetrics and Pediatrics in Traditional Chinese Medicine

One of the pre-eminent teachers of TCM obstetrics and pediatrics in the United States has been Raven Lang, OMD. She brings to her students over 40 years of experience as a direct entry midwife in rural Canada and Northern California. While working as a midwife, Dr. Lang attained doctorate level education in Traditional Chinese Medicine. She has run a busy TCM clinic in Santa Cruz for many years, treating birthing mothers and their families.

Studying with Dr. Lang was one of my favorite parts of my Chinese medicine training. It has prepared me to support women through the profound process of pregnancy, birth, postpartum and early motherhood, and to treat problems that arise safely and effectively, using acupuncture, herbs and nutrition, in collaboration with the family's midwife or obstetrician. This year I was delighted to experience an additional course with Dr. Lang entitled The Art and Science of Obstetrics in Traditional Chinese Medicine. I am looking forward to sharing what I have learned with you and your family.